Government of Canada/Public Works — June 26, 2012Minister Ambrose Welcomes Progress Made With Vancouver Shipyards
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA--(Marketwire - June 26, 2012) - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, today toured Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd. Installations. She took the opportunity to meet with shipyard officials and discussed the progress made in the negotiation of initial contracts under the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy (NSPS).
"The Harper Government and Vancouver Shipyards have engaged in a long-term strategic relationship which will mean long-term jobs and economic growth for our country, stability for the industry, and vital equipment for our men and women in the Royal Canadian Navy and the Canadian Coast Guard.," said Minister Ambrose.
On October 19, 2011, the NSPS Secretariat announced the two Canadian shipyards that were selected to rebuild the Canadian fleets. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. was selected to build the combat vessels while Vancouver Shipyards Co. Ltd. will build the non-combat vessels. On February 13 and 14, 2012, Umbrella Agreements were signed with the shipyards to define the long-term working relationships and administrative arrangements under which the government will negotiate fair and reasonable individual contracts. Negotiations are now under way with the shipyards for the lead project in each work package: National Defence's Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships in the combat package and the science vessels for the Canadian Coast Guard in the non-combat package.
"Negotiations are under way to secure the first contracts to be awarded to Vancouver Shipyards under the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy," said Minister Ambrose. "Our government is proud of our commitment to build ships in Canada and we know that our Canadian Shipyards are up to the task at hand."
For more information on NSPS, please visit the following website: http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/app-acq/sam-mps/snacn-nsps-eng.html.
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
PWGSC news releases are also available on our Internet site at http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-media/index-eng.html.
Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/PWGSC_TPSGC.
Office of the Honourable Rona Ambrose
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Latest Industry Press Releases
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces May Dividend (2013-05-17)
CanWel Announces Election of Directors (2013-05-14)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- OPG $1 billion proposal to bury nuclear waste up for comment
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
- Ontario prompt payment bill to get second reading today
- Call for action after MOL says workers are responsible for their own safety
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$90,000,000 Richmond Hill ON Prebid
$82,000,000 White River Twp ON Tenders
$40,650,000 Markham ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project