Government of Canada/Public Works — March 12, 2012Harper Government Announces the Completion of the Des Joachims Bridge Rehabilitation Project
PEMBROKE, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - March 12, 2012) - Cheryl Gallant, Member of Parliament for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, on behalf of the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women, today announced the completion of the Des Joachims Bridge rehabilitation project.
"Our Government's investment in the Des Joachims Bridge has created long-term economic benefits for the entire region," said Ms. Gallant. "Maintaining local public infrastructure is important to all of us as it contributes to a stronger economy."
"Our Government is squarely focused on what matters to Canadians - jobs and economic growth," said Minister Ambrose. "Through Canada's Economic Action Plan, we will continue to invest in local public infrastructure and contribute to a stronger economy and safer communities."
As part of Canada's Economic Action Plan, the Government of Canada recently announced investments of approximately $250 million, over the next five years, in federal infrastructure projects across the country, for a total of $320 million in funding for these assets.
The Des Joachims Bridge spans the Ottawa River, about 225 kilometres northwest of Ottawa, and approximately 70 kilometres northwest of Pembroke. The bridge is near the Ontario town of Rolphton and links to the village of Rapides-des-Joachims in Quebec. Built in 1950, the bridge consists of three supported truss spans totaling 130 metres and resting on a masonry substructure.
The work, completed by Construction Robert Brodeur Inc., included selective repair and replacement of the structural steel and concrete floor beams located below the deck structure. Additionally, the steel below the deck received a new protective coating to resist corrosion. The work also included erosion control at the Ontario abutment and repair to the Ontario approach guardrail flex beam.
The cost of this project was nearly $1.4 million and this project was awarded following a fair and open competitive tendering process through the Government Electronic Tendering System (MERX).
Ce texte est également disponible en français.
PWGSC news releases are also available on our Internet site at http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-media/index-eng.html.
Office of the Honourable Rona Ambrose
Public Works and Government Services Canada
Latest Industry Press Releases
Black Diamond Group Limited Announces April Dividend (2014-04-17)
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 500 projects with a total value of $2,096,783,397 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$70,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- TCIC bid competition a prep for the future, say students
- George Street Glass
- Enbridge pledges jobs with proposed pipeline
- Ontario now off coal
- CEO honours top Ontario engineer firms
- Muskrat Falls project costs going up, reports Nalcor Energy CEO
- Ex government engineer accepted gifts in exchange for contracts
- Alberta health and safety officials investigate death of electrician
- Merit Contractors Association president announces retirement
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job