Visit Skills Training at Journal of Commerce
Professional Development/Skills Training
March 5, 2014
members of Carpenters’ unions and affiliated contractors across Ontario, a winter getaway to the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America centre (UBC) in Las Vegas in mid-February was rewarding for more than the sunny, warm weather.
February 19, 2014
Though the federal government’s 2014 budget was a “stay the course” document for most Canadians, there were big moves made in terms of the country’s skilled labour force, say industry leaders.
February 14, 2014
The job creation and new employment opportunities for youth tools introduced in the 2014 federal budget have received the support of the Ontario Construction Secretariat (OCS).
February 14, 2014
The creation of the Canada Apprentice Loan reinforces the importance of the apprenticeship training system to industries like construction for future labour market needs, says the head of the Canadian Construction Association (CCA).
February 10, 2014
A recently constructed model of a concrete and steel girder highway bridge is nothing like the one you might expect to see perched on an engineer’s office desk. This model is big. Really big.
January 31, 2014
Provincial supports will create job and training opportunities for up to 12 journeypersons and 24 apprentices while supporting the development of an emergency housing facility for homeless and at-risk youth in Saint John, N.B.
January 23, 2014
There is a new tone in the way the federal government and the provinces are discussing the Canada Job Grant, says one construction industry leader.
December 31, 2013
A new training standard to prevents falls and improve safety for those who work at heights is being introduced by the province of Ontario.
December 27, 2013
The $2.6-billion Lower Mattagami River Hydroelectric Complex (LMRH) under construction by Ontario Power Generation (OPG) between Timmins, Ont. and James Bay will add more than 440 megawatts to the generating capacity of the big complex by 2015.
December 23, 2013
As part of a stepped up initiative to attract students into its industry, the Ontario Hot Mix Producers Association is forging closer ties with colleges and other agencies delivering apprentice and other training programs.
June 26, 2009
Conestoga’s College is busy adding to its Construction Centre of Excellence campus in Waterloo with a roofing training centre set to open its doors this September and an HVAC training facility to follow a year later.
June 26, 2009
Not many pre-apprenticeship courses can claim as high a retention rate as the CHOICE Pre-apprenticeship Program for Youths at Risk can. In its fifth year, the unique Toronto-based program offers its students a chance to learn carpentry skills on the job at social housing properties operated by Toronto Community Housing Corporation.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 527 projects with a total value of $1,552,331,732 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$120,000,000 Oakville ON Tenders
$48,225,000 Etobicoke ON Prebid
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- CCA96th: Unlocking Canada's Potential
- VIDEO: LiUNA Local 183 Training Centre introduces new programs
- Wins delivered on infrastructure front: Rizzardo
- Behind the Velodrome’s Veil
- Ontario’s prompt payment bill needs work but supported
- Southwest L-evation
- Post-bid clarifications make feds liable for bid repair
- Panama Construction Fact for Today
- Ritchie Bros. hold first Canadian auction of 2014
- Skilled labour needs changing in Saskatchewan
- Quebec’s construction momentum ebbs after 15 years of expansion
- VIDEO: Canadian Construction Association conference Panama preview
- Concerns raised about P3 approach for Saskatchewan schools
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of March 10th, 2014
- Wood Design Awards
- Outgoing chair reflects on time at the helm of the CCA
- School board asks for traditional procurement
- Site Services in Vancouver
- Looking to improve contract awards
- Environmental verdict riles Taseko
- Prentice to mediate First Nations agreements
- CAWIC funded to create action plan to attract women
- More video surveillance used on construction sites
- Modular workforce housing meets Alberta Building Code standard
- Manitoba outlines infrastructure plan
- BC Hydro posts RFQ for Site C project