LATEST NEWS Trade Contracting
September 10, 2012
Caterpillar high efficiency gas generator to power Markham cogeneration plants
Two cogeneration plants for Markham District Energy Inc. (MDE) will be the first in North America to employ Caterpillar Inc.’s recently introduced CG260 Series of high efficiency gas generator sets.
Local Cat dealer Toromont will be supplying a CG260-12 generator set for the MDE Birchmount Energy Centre, a CG260-16 generator set for the Bur Oak Energy Centre and ancillary electrical and mechanical equipment for both sites.
The CG260 generator sets will provide a combined 7 MW of electricity and 7MW of thermal energy to the Markham, Ont. district energy systems.
MDE was established in 1999 to develop best-in-class district energy systems for Markham’s developing urban centers. Produced at central plants, heated and chilled water is distributed throughout the community via underground thermal distribution systems.
To increase efficiency and reduce emissions, MDE has deployed an aggressive combined-heat- and-power (CHP) strategy (also referred to as cogeneration), widely recognized as a highly efficient and socially responsible way of meeting a community’s energy needs.
“When Caterpillar offered the CG260 product in response to our recent request for proposals, we were very impressed and pleased that they won the competition,” said Bruce Ander, MDE president and CEO in a news release.
“When we complete the new CHP projects, MDE will operate over 20 MW of Cat powered generators at three locations that provide reliable and efficient power and heating to our Markham customers.”
DCN NEWS SERVICES
Digital Media Editor's Note:
Daily Commercial News subscribers may view more information on Markham District Energy and its construction project by viewing company ID 840031 in Reed Construction Data Canada Building Reports.
If you are not already a subscriber, you can be by filling out the form at this web page. Building Reports are published daily in Daily Commercial News and are available online to subscribers. See the Daily Top 10 for a sample of the information available.
To learn more about construction project leads from Reed Construction Data, fill out the web form at this web page.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- OPG $1 billion proposal to bury nuclear waste up for comment
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
- Ontario prompt payment bill to get second reading today
- Call for action after MOL says workers are responsible for their own safety
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 316 projects with a total value of $2,787,806,637 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$90,000,000 Richmond Hill ON Prebid
$82,000,000 White River Twp ON Tenders
$40,650,000 Markham ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- VIDEO: Competing in the trades
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Viana steps up to rebuild burnt down playground
- Random drug testing about site safety, says expert
- Trying to define the “lowest price”
- High job vacancy rates for small business
- Minto to assist in zero energy housing project
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)