August 23, 2012
City of Ottawa announces public artists for $51-million Barrhaven sports complex
The City of Ottawa has announced that Daniel Young and Christian Giroux have been awarded the public art commission for the Barrhaven South Recreation Complex, planned for the corner of Greenbank and Cambrian Roads, northwest of the community of Manotick.
"The artists will construct two modular sculptures inspired by the Japanese architect Kisho Kurokawa that rework modernist forms of abstraction in more contemporary terms," according to a city press release. "A grid-like form of aluminum tubes and colourful pods suspended from the ceiling of the complex will form an abstract and richly compositional artwork."
Last November, the city announced it has selected Perkins + Will as the design firm for the 130,000-square-foot sports facility , which will include two ice pads, a swimming pool, gymnasium, sports fields, fitness centre and community centre space. It is planned as part of a campus for the area, about 25 kilometres south of downtown Ottawa. The campus will also include a Catholic elementary school, fire station and park land.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 541 projects with a total value of $2,992,674,310 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$290,000,000 North York ON Prebid
$105,000,000 Metro Toronto Reg ON Prebid
$75,000,000 Ottawa ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- Prompt payment bill headed to committee
- Final Phase
- A return to core values a must for banks: Carney
- OHMPA on the road with informative seminars
- Local 675 strike ends after new agreement ratified
- NDP says it will support Liberal budget, averting spring election
- Measure of U.S. economy’s future health rises 0.6 per cent in April after March dip
- Terratec awarded Brighton, Ont. Lagoon Clean-Out Project contract
- Fundraising campaign to reach target for new Shriners Hospital for Children
- George Brown College building named after Tridel CEO
- Construction Site Arson
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 27th, 2013
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Acetylene torch explosion causes significant damage
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)