August 2, 2012
PRNEWSFOTI/PELLI CLARKE PELLI ARCHITECTS
Grounds breaks on Yale Singapore campus
NEW HAVEN, CONN.
Ground was recently broken for the Yale-NUS College campus in Singapore, designed by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects in collaboration with Forum Architects of Singapore.
Jointly created by Yale University and the National University of Singapore, Yale-NUS College is the first college campus established by Yale outside of New Haven, Conn. The campus is scheduled to open in 2015 and is designed to achieve the highest rating under the Green Mark, Singapore’s benchmark for sustainable design.
“Much like the educational mission of the college, the architecture of Yale-NUS is keenly attuned to its antecedents and committed to the ideas and responsibilities of today,” said Fred Clarke, senior principal of Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, in a news release.
“In this way, it is also a vision for the future.”
The 62,000-square-metre campus will feature courtyards punctuated by residential towers and a community of learning and social spaces. At its heart is a campus green flanked by academic and administrative buildings, including the learning commons, auditorium, sports hall, and an open-air, sheltered gathering place — the Agora.
Each of the residential colleges will house 330 students plus faculty. Tower floors are grouped into neighborhoods around skygardens.
The tower designs and those of the courtyards, dining halls, and common rooms will differ in each residential college.
The new campus design is based on original programming, a master plan and early architectural plans developed by KieranTimberlake and Pfeiffer Partners Architects.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Concrete parking building repairs could save costs
- New Pickering airport to help move growing population
- Pink crane a beacon of awareness at St. Joseph’s
- McMaster’s Health Sciences Campus a Gold Seal project
- SNC-Lavalin hopes Algeria police raid will help to shed light on wrong
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 457 projects with a total value of $2,805,994,117 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$50,000,000 Brantford ON Prebid
$49,850,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$38,500,000 Scarborough ON Prebid
- Builders stack cans to topple hunger
- MTO unveils new methods for road work
- Price combined with criteria, wins bids
- Water protection needed for building envelope
- Students strut their best at Skills Canada
- OTA keeps on trucking for road funding
- Dessau CEO Jean Pierre Sauriol quits in wake of corruption scandal
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of June 17th, 2013
- ERCB investigates Zama City, Alta pipeline spill
- Industrial headquarters opens in Nisku, Alta.
- Public protection site safety plan required with permit application
- Sprinkler fitters reach agreement after strike
- Understanding authority levels
- Federal project apprentices discussed
- Pushing for accountability in safety
- Acquisition targets LNG
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)