February 28, 2011
Springside Paving & Construction fined in worker’s death in Vaughan, Ontario
Springside Paving & Construction Limited, a Woodbridge, Ont. paving company, was fined $100,000 for a violation under the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker was killed.
On July 13, 2009, three workers from the paving company were working at a residential property in Vaughan, Ont. They were asked to remove and replace the asphalt driveway and re-level the interlocking walkway in front of the property.
After they disconnected a trailer from their truck, a worker got into the vehicle and slowly reversed it towards the work site.
The truck ran over and killed another worker.
A Ministry of Labour investigation found there was no signaller present when the truck was reversing. Springside Paving & Construction Limited pleaded guilty to failing as an employer to ensure that the vehicle operator was assisted by a signaller if the operator’s view of the intended path of travel is obstructed or if a person may be endangered.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 376 projects with a total value of $1,488,736,331 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$79,500,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$43,000,000 Clarington ON Negotiated
$30,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- P3s gaining acceptance according to survey
- Office Job
- Wilson Station Stop
- MCAC and CIPH take Parliament Hill
- Construction progresses on Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- RFP issued for Highway 407 East
- Ontario announces May 1 budget date
- Arup to design wellhead platform concrete gravity structure for White Rose Extension Project
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job