February 22, 2011
Las Vegas Sands Corp. looks to Spain for US$20-billion casino site
Las Vegas Sands Corp. wants to build “Euro-Vegas” in Spain, its CEO Sheldon Adelson said Feb. 16, touting a US$20.3 billion plan for a massive strip-style casino resort in Madrid or Barcelona.
Sands is in talks with officials from both cities about the project, which could have 20,000 hotel rooms, millions of square feet of retail and convention space and create 180,000 jobs, Adelson told reporters in Singapore.
“I want to do a mini-Las Vegas in Europe,” Adelson said. “I hope we can use the name Europe Vegas or Euro-Vegas.”
Adelson said he plans to meet with contractors in two weeks and is assembling a team of architects and builders that would construct several resorts at once.
“We’re very seriously considering this, we’re very actively pursuing this,” he said.
“There’s no reason why we can’t do it.”
Las Vegas Sands invested about $6 billion to build the Marina Bay Sands casino resort in Singapore, which opened last year.
Adelson said Sands is seeking more land from Singapore to enlarge the casino’s convention space because demand has been much higher than expected.
Sands would need concessions from the Spanish government for land and guarantees that building plans would be approved quickly, Adelson said.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 541 projects with a total value of $2,992,674,310 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$290,000,000 North York ON Prebid
$105,000,000 Metro Toronto Reg ON Prebid
$75,000,000 Ottawa ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- Prompt payment bill headed to committee
- Final Phase
- A return to core values a must for banks: Carney
- OHMPA on the road with informative seminars
- Local 675 strike ends after new agreement ratified
- NDP says it will support Liberal budget, averting spring election
- Measure of U.S. economy’s future health rises 0.6 per cent in April after March dip
- Terratec awarded Brighton, Ont. Lagoon Clean-Out Project contract
- Fundraising campaign to reach target for new Shriners Hospital for Children
- George Brown College building named after Tridel CEO
- Construction Site Arson
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of May 27th, 2013
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Acetylene torch explosion causes significant damage
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)