LATEST NEWS Roadbuilding
February 2, 2011
Strahl proposes new regulations for Canada’s bridges and tunnels
Chuck Strahl, Canada’s Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, has announced proposed regulations to address operation and maintenance violations concerning the nation’s bridges and tunnels.
The Administrative Monetary Penalties Regulations (AMP Regulations) would establish a method outside of the courts to address violations under the International Bridges and Tunnels Act. There are currently 25 Canadian vehicular international bridges and tunnels, and nine international railway structures with various forms of ownership and governance structures covered under the act.
The proposed regulations would set up a ticketing system by creating fines for infractions under the act and regulations. For example, penalties could be imposed for the construction of an international bridge without government approval or if a corporate owner fails to submit an inspection report to the minister.
Penalties would range from a maximum of $5,000 per day for individuals to a maximum of $25,000 per day for corporations. Current enforcement tools include issuing Ministerial Orders and initiating criminal proceedings.
“These proposed regulations would improve the Government of Canada’s ability to efficiently oversee existing international bridges and tunnels,” Strahl said. “They would help ensure important infrastructure continues to operate safely and effectively.”
DCN News Services
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin