February 1, 2011
Plaza completed at New York-Ontario Queenston-Lewiston border crossing
Work on the central plaza building at the Queenston-Lewiston International Bridge has been completed.
This $78-million project was the second phase of improvements to the Canadian Plaza and included the construction of a central building for Canada Border Services Agency and Canadian Food Inspection Agency functions, 10 passenger vehicle primary inspection booths and a separate bus-processing lane. These improvements will result in increased peak traffic capacity and faster processing times for travellers, strengthening trade and tourism between Canada and the U.S.
“Completion of the Queenston central plaza building on the northernmost of our three bridges will provide even more rapid border crossings for our cars, trucks and buses moving into Canada,” said Dr. Kenneth E. Loucks, chairman of the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission
Phase Two construction built on the $49-million Phase One redevelopment project undertaken and funded entirely by the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission. Phase One included the construction of a new elevated parking structure, a toll complex, a primary commercial customs processing facility, a retaining/security wall and a new maintenance facility.
The federal government contributed up to $62 million for the second phase of the project and the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission contributed $16 million.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Concrete awards recognize Ontario’s best
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 299 projects with a total value of $6,054,395,373 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$200,000,000 Halton Reg ON Prebid
$191,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$144,000,000 Etobicoke ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Construct Canada 2013 CEO Power Breakfast
- Toronto firms tops for Winnipeg hut designs
- Toronto architect releases music album
- Road pricing an effective congestion fighter, say experts
- What does “Local Knowledge” really mean in Ontario AFPs?
- United States construction employers add 17,000 jobs in November but growth is uneven, finds AGC
- Toronto housing starts dip: CMHC
- Active unions needed, says Segal
- Saint John Harbour Bridge project wraps up
- Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 16th, 2013
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex