October 28, 2010
EllisDon continues construction on Hospital for Sick Children research facility
WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY
The site of the new Hospital for Sick Children research tower in downtown Toronto was a hive of activity Oct. 21 as concrete was poured for the building’s “mat” foundation.
A total of 1,600 cubic metres of concrete were poured continuously over a 12-hour period. Sitting on top of 20 caissons, the foundation is 35.75 metres long, 14.7 metres wide and 2.5 metres high.
General contractor EllisDon supervised the pour. Ready-mixed concrete supplier St. Marys CBM mobilized three Toronto-area plants. The 750,000-square-foot facility was designed by Diamond + Schmitt Architects with HDR Inc. The team includes structural engineers Halcrow Yolles and mechanical-electrical engineers H.H. Angus & Associates Ltd. The 21-storey research and learning tower will be the largest such high-rise facility in Canada. Completion is scheduled for 2013.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin