October 25, 2010
National Institute of Standards and Technology awards grants for research facilities construction
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the U.S. has awarded USD$50 million in grants to five institutions to support the construction of new scientific research facilities.
Projects receiving funding under the NIST Construction Grant Program are:
•NIST awarded $13.1 million for the Golisano Institute for Sustainability Research Building at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York. The environmentally friendly building at the institute will support green-building research and other sustainable technologies.
•The Center for Civil Engineering Earthquake Research at the University of Nevada, Reno gets $12.2 million for an expansion, resulting in the largest and most versatile earthquake simulation facility in the U.S.
•A $9.5-million grant will go to the Center of Excellence in Nano Mechanical Science and Engineering at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
The research facility will explore topics at the intersection of mechanical engineering and nanometer-scale science and technology.
•The Center for Ocean Health at Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences in West Boothbay Harbor, Maine, gets $9.1 million for a research centre to facilitate the study of microbial life in marine ecosystems and ocean health.
•A $6-million grant goes to to the Western Institute of Nanotechnology on Green Engineering and Metrology at the University of California, Los Angeles. The facility will consolidate research facilities developing advanced energy technologies for microelectronics and nanotechnology.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Lafarge’s research tackles cement’s “bad boy” image
- Waterloo Region LRT work agreement almost done
- RFP released to shortlisted teams for Milton hospital expansion
- Upset waters over new Ontario diving regulations
- The Working Dead — construction of a post-apocalyptic zombie world
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 371 projects with a total value of $1,936,826,394 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$134,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$128,250,000 North York ON Prebid
$100,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- Debate swirls over OCOT’s merit on its anniversary
- WaterGarden Worker
- Ontario to invest in cycling infrastructure
- U.S. construction labour concerns
- Compulsory certification in carpentry a “job killer”, says Kenney
- CaGBC to provide free LEED registration and certification for commercial projects in disaster-hit cities
- Economic cost of weather catastrophes is under appreciated: report
- Scotiabank sees slow growth in housing
- Photo Gallery: 2014 ACEC BC Awards of Excellence winners
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Making Metro
- Crumbling roads a key election issue
- Early stages of concrete pump operator certification being developed in B.C.
- Legal battle over temporary foreign workers heats up
- Dive tower pushes formwork forward
- Understanding municipal strategy
- Calgary firm fined $35,000 for workplace injury
- B.C. labour minister calls for WorkSafeBC reforms
- B.C. prison proceeding