LATEST NEWS Trade Contracting
October 21, 2010
Merit OpenShop Contractors Association endorses Ford for Toronto mayor
The Merit OpenShop Contractors Association of Ontario (MOCAO) is endorsing Toronto mayoral candidate Rob Ford in the upcoming municipal election.
MOCAO applauded Ford’s commitment to an open construction tendering process that is expected to save taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars a year and provide equal job opportunities for all qualified construction contractors and workers.
Toronto is the only municipality in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) to have union-only restrictions on construction contracts.
“A commitment to open bidding is a commitment to the best interests of Toronto taxpayers and all construction workers,” said Gord Sproule, vice chair of MOCAO. “The system must be reformed and changed if Toronto is to be competitive with other GTA municipalities in attracting jobs and economic growth.
“Rob Ford is the only choice in this election if integrity and the future prosperity of Toronto is what we demand of our elected officials.”
The association also called on all candidates for Toronto city council to support fair, open and competitive tendering on city projects.
Merit noted that Smitherman has committed to supporting union-only tendering that has “undermined the fiscal and ethical integrity of Toronto’s construction procurement process.”
“Rob Ford is now the only mayoral candidate with the integrity to speak up for the rights of Toronto taxpayers and construction workers by promising to fight against union-only tendering while saving the city many millions of dollars,” said David McDonald, president of MOCAO.
“With Ford’s main opponents opposing a fully open bidding process, the choice is clear on who can be trusted to deliver on promises of fiscal accountability in Toronto.”
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 376 projects with a total value of $1,488,736,331 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$79,500,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$43,000,000 Clarington ON Negotiated
$30,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- P3s gaining acceptance according to survey
- Office Job
- Wilson Station Stop
- MCAC and CIPH take Parliament Hill
- Construction progresses on Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- RFP issued for Highway 407 East
- Ontario announces May 1 budget date
- Arup to design wellhead platform concrete gravity structure for White Rose Extension Project
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job