LATEST NEWS Trade Contracting
October 21, 2010
International Union of Operating Engineers backs Smitherman for Toronto mayor
Local 793 of the International Union of Operating Engineers has endorsed George Smitherman for Toronto mayor in the upcoming municipal election.
“(Smitherman) has the experience and ideas to get Toronto working and moving again,” said Mike Gallagher, business manager of the construction union, in a statement.
“(He) has always been a forceful voice and passionate advocate for the City of Toronto. His past experience as chief of staff to former Toronto mayor Barbara Hall and as a provincial cabinet minister and MPP ... will enable him to get things done at city hall.”
Local 793 had originally backed Rocco Rossi for mayor in the Oct. 25 election but he withdrew from the race Oct. 13.
Gallagher said the union is now supporting Smitherman because he intends to restore fiscal credibility and balance the books at city hall, he has a transit plan to get the city moving, and wants to provide more apprenticeship and job opportunities for young Torontonians.
Local 793 also supports Smitherman’s plans to build light rail amd expand the subway system in North York, Scarborough and Etobicoke.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin