LATEST NEWS Trade Contracting
October 21, 2010
International Union of Operating Engineers backs Smitherman for Toronto mayor
Local 793 of the International Union of Operating Engineers has endorsed George Smitherman for Toronto mayor in the upcoming municipal election.
“(Smitherman) has the experience and ideas to get Toronto working and moving again,” said Mike Gallagher, business manager of the construction union, in a statement.
“(He) has always been a forceful voice and passionate advocate for the City of Toronto. His past experience as chief of staff to former Toronto mayor Barbara Hall and as a provincial cabinet minister and MPP ... will enable him to get things done at city hall.”
Local 793 had originally backed Rocco Rossi for mayor in the Oct. 25 election but he withdrew from the race Oct. 13.
Gallagher said the union is now supporting Smitherman because he intends to restore fiscal credibility and balance the books at city hall, he has a transit plan to get the city moving, and wants to provide more apprenticeship and job opportunities for young Torontonians.
Local 793 also supports Smitherman’s plans to build light rail amd expand the subway system in North York, Scarborough and Etobicoke.
DCN NEWS SERVICES
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 415 projects with a total value of $3,354,507,550 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$200,000,000 Milton ON Tenders
$55,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$30,000,000 Lennox and Addington Co ON Negotiated
- Upset waters over new Ontario diving regulations
- Covering up the Celsius
- Frontier Oilsands Mine joint review panel raises concerns among some First Nations
- Doors open on latest PPP Canada funding
- U.S. builders’ confidence rises but is limited by tight credit and shortages of labour and lots
- Keystone XL opponents carve message
- RFP released to shortlisted teams for Milton hospital expansion
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Fort McMurray airport terminal getting ready for take off
- B.C. government forms liquefied natural gas working group
- Kitimat residents vote against Northern Gateway pipeline
- Precast concrete enables net-zero homes
- Learning to dig safely can save lives
- Ex construction boss admits to collusion in government contracts
- P3 Fund launches
- Supreme court won't hear case involving construction mogul
- Minister spurns spat over plant