October 15, 2010
Masonry firm walks off Parliament Hill reno job
There’s more trouble and fresh allegations involving a big-money Parliament Hill renovation contract being probed by the Mounties.
Masonry work ground to a halt on the West Block renovation Friday after a sub-contractor walked off the job and went to the RCMP.
RJW Stonemasons president Bobby Watt says he isn’t being paid by the bonding company running the project. He also claims he’s being squeezed out of the masonry job in favour of another firm and he’s asked the RCMP to look into that.
Last month, Watt’s lawyers notified the bonding firm, L’Unique Assurances General, that RJW intended to take it to court over $200,000 in unpaid work.
A copy of the Sept. 23 letter was provided to The Canadian Press. “It has come to our attention that your agent on site ... has been deliberately attempting to interfere with the contractual relations between our client and its stonemasons by deliberately stating that L’Unique’s intent is to squeeze out RJW by failing to make payment in accordance with representations and promises made by L’Unique,”the letter says.
The Mounties are already investigating a $9-million contract awarded to Montreal construction company LM Sauve in 2008 to do the job.
LM Sauve head Paul Sauve has said he hired Tory-connected businessman Gilles Varin to help win the original contract, eventually paying him $140,000. But the company went bankrupt a year later and lost the contract.
L’Unique took over the project and hired RJW to finish the masonry work.
L’Unique declined to comment on the specifics of the matter.
“For obvious reasons, we don’t want to talk publicly of problems that can be solved in a minute,”said Jacques Canac-Marquis, the company’s director of service.
“We have to find out if they are real problems or not, and how to solve it. Period.”
The RCMP’s Montreal division, which is looking into the original complaint over the West Block contract, wouldn’t comment the new allegations.
“The RCMP acknowledges that the matter that you’re referring to regarding the allegations made by Mr. Paul Sauve is now in the hands of the ‘C’ division,”Cpl. Caroline Letang said.
“We will look into the matter and decide where to take it from there. We’re not in a position to comment any further on this specific matter at this time.”
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 331 projects with a total value of $3,875,502,154 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$2,200,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$125,000,000 Scarborough ON Prebid
$49,900,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- P3s can support Canadian resource development
- Parking culture shift can influence transit use and development, says expert panel
- What will it take to improve infrastructure?
- NRC unveils four new research programs
- Water-treatment plant planned for Manitoba’s CentrePort area
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- United States green construction arms race heats up
- Nova Scotia to ban importation of waste water from shale gas fracking
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin