October 13, 2010
Toronto police lay criminal charges in swing-stage deaths
Three men are facing criminal charges in connection with the 2009 Christmas Eve swing-stage accident in Toronto that killed four workers.
Toronto Police report that Vadim Kazenelson, Joel Swartz, and Benny Saigh are set to appear in court today facing four counts of criminal negligence causing death and one count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm. Metron Construction Corp. also faces the same charges.
The Ontario Ministry of Labour brought 61 charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act in August against the employer and equipment supplier connected to the accident.
Under the OHSA charges, both Metron and swing-stage supplier Swing “N” Scaff face fines of up to $500,000 for each charge. Directors of both companies face maximum fines of up to $25,000 each and prison sentences of up to 12 months. These parties made their first appearance on the OHSA charges in a provincial court on Sept. 30.
In the Dec. 24, 2009 accident, four construction workers plunged 13 storeys to their deaths at a Kipling Avenue apartment restoration work site when a swing-stage they were working on came apart. Police report that six people were on the swing-stage at the time of the accident and the apparatus broke apart when a seventh tried to get on it.
Vladimir Korostin, Aleksey Blumberg, Alexander Bondorev and Fayzullo Fazilov lost their lives in the accident. Dilshod Marupov survived the fall and the sixth man was saved because he was attached to a lifeline, Toronto Police report.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin