March 30, 2010
Chinese cable-stayed bridge, the world’s longest, wins engineering award
Sutong Bridge in Nantong City, Jiangsu Province, China has won the 2010 outstanding civil engineering achievement award sponsored by the American Society of Civil Engineers. The Sutong Bridge, which spans the Yangtze River in China’s Jiangsu province, is the world’s longest cable-stayed bridge.
With a main span measuring 1,088 meters, it is the first cable-stayed bridge with a span that passes the 1,000 meter mark. The bridge also has two side-spans that are 300 meters, as well as four smaller cable spans.
The bridge provides a vital link between the cities of Suzhou and Nantong in Jiangsu province. It dramatically reduces the journey between Suzhou and Nantong—which used to require a four-hour ferry trip—to just an hour.
In addition to its record-setting length, the bridge’s construction included a number of significant achievements. Its two pylon foundations—each founded on 131 piles, were the largest ever attempted, and, the 300 meter bridge pylons were the tallest ever constructed. Additionally, the 577 meter long stayed cables were the longest ever manufactured.
Established in 1960, the OCEA program recognizes projects from around the world for their contribution to the well-being of people and communities, their resourcefulness in planning and design challenges, and their innovative use of materials and techniques. The other finalists were:
• The Arrowhead Tunnels Project: Inland Feeder Program, San Bernardino, Calif.
•The Concordia University Wisconsin Lakeshore Environmental Enhancement and Education Project, Mequon, Wis.
• The Sound Transit Central Link Light Rail: Section 710 Beacon Hill Station and Tunnels, Seattle, Wash.
• The Utah State Capitol Seismic Base Isolation and Restoration, Salt Lake City, Utah
Founded in 1852, the American Society of Civil Engineers represents more than 144,000 civil engineers worldwide and is America’s oldest national engineering society.
DCN News Services
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 376 projects with a total value of $1,488,736,331 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$79,500,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$43,000,000 Clarington ON Negotiated
$30,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- VIDEO: Debate still strong as OCOT turns one
- P3s gaining acceptance according to survey
- Office Job
- Wilson Station Stop
- MCAC and CIPH take Parliament Hill
- Construction progresses on Eglinton Crosstown LRT
- RFP issued for Highway 407 East
- Ontario announces May 1 budget date
- Arup to design wellhead platform concrete gravity structure for White Rose Extension Project
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of April 21st, 2014
- Truss Lift
- B.C. government reverses sweet gas deregulation
- CCA looking to engage Aboriginal communities with new taskforce
- Pembina Pipelines building regional headquarters in Alberta
- Biomaterials growing on construction
- Manitoba town is a design showcase
- Saskatchewan wind project moves forward
- Suncor worker death investigated
- Olympic builders return to the job