LATEST NEWS Steel
June 30, 2009
Who’s in charge of the global economy?
When it comes to global economic leadership these days, who is in charge? That’s no longer clear, Reed Construction Data chief economist Alex Carrick says in his latest economic report.
While the world has traditionally taken its cues from the U.S., China’s economy is experiencing an “awakening,” he says. “There is no doubt that China is positioning itself strategically.”
The country is acquiring vast swathes of land around the world to safeguard against food shortages and making investments in natural resource firms around the world, seeking iron ore and coal in order to fuel domestic steel production.
At the same time, China is the largest exporter to India, and last year Europe surpassed the U.S. as China’s largest export market.
Whither the almighty U.S.?
While China’s prospects are still tied to the American consumer, Carrick predicts American consumer spending is “set for a long dry spell.”
“It seems to be that the U.S. consumer spending recovery will be stretched out more than in the past,” he says, “but a good deal more resilient than is currently widely expected.”
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- OPG $1 billion proposal to bury nuclear waste up for comment
- Proposed Ambassador Bridge twinning draws Windsor mayor’s ire
- New ETFO headquarters a benchmark design
- Ontario prompt payment bill to get second reading today
- Construction on pedestrian tunnel to Billy Bishop Airport continues to make progress
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 443 projects with a total value of $1,866,277,015 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$353,800,000 North York ON Prebid
$90,000,000 Niagara Falls ON Prebid
$68,000,000 Oakville ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Economic Update May 21, 2013
- Future tradespeople put to the test
- Ontario raiding season closes with a thud
- Bird flags challenges in Canadian construction
- Ontario commits to Hwy. 427 expansion
- GO Transit to build new maintenance facility in East Gwillimbury
- Ancient First Nations site damaged during work by BC Hydro
- Federal NDP leader speaks to police 'to help' with Quebec corruption probe
- Construction Site Arson
- Historic church renovation reaches new heights
- Hiring of foreign workers for hospital project outrages union
- Festival of Architecture hits Halifax
- Acetylene torch explosion causes significant damage
- Winnipeg Southwest Transitway wins award
- Vendor performance is key measurement
- NDP leader spoke to police about corruption
- Big contract down under for ATCO Structures
- RFQ issued for Kamloops hospital project
|ALEX’S ECONOMICS BLOG|
Reed Construction Data Canada’s Chief Economist Alex Carrick discusses current developments in the North American economic environment with emphasis on the construction industry.
- An Overview of Prices and Sales in the Diverging U.S. and Canadian Housing Markets (April 25, 2013)
- Canada’s Precarious Dependence on the Commodity Price Super-Cycle (April 22, 2013)
- Twenty major upcoming residential and transportation terminal construction projects - April 2013 (April 15, 2013)