LATEST NEWS Professional Services
June 15, 2009
Engineering association urges ‘vigilance’ on contract terms
The Association of Canadian Engineering Companies (ACEC) has cautioned its members to be “vigilant” when it comes to contract language on projects financed in part under the stimulus funds unveiled in the 2009 federal budget.
In an advisory to member firms, president Jeff Morrison said concerns have been raised in some circles that clients might insert provisions that would shift risk for failure to meet the March 31, 2011 deadline onto the consulting engineering firm.
“There have been no recorded instances of such language appearing as of yet,” Morrison said. “However, ACEC member firms should remain vigilant of any language appearing in stimulus-funded project contracts that shifts risk for failure to meet the completion deadline onto the consulting engineer.
“If such language does appear, we would ask you to please advise ACEC.”
Morrison said member firms proactively might wish to recommend language within the contract that protects the consulting engineer from liability in the event that these projects are not completed by the specified deadline.
Morrison also said the federal government has “hinted” that there may be penalties introduced for municipalities that fail to meet the March 31, 2011 deadlines. No specific announcements have been made yet on this issue, he said.
The government has made it clear that the deadline will not be extended.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin