LATEST NEWS Roadbuilding
June 11, 2009
New York City tunnel to be biggest in U.S.
NORTH BERGEN, N.J.
Officials are launching America’s largest transportation project — a third tunnel into New York City that’s expected to generate 6,000 construction jobs and be completed by 2017.
The project was launched at a ceremony Monday in northern New Jersey. It will be burrowed under the Hudson River and will speed the commute from New Jersey to New York City.
Federal Transit Administration chief Peter Rogoff says the rail tunnel is the largest ever funded by his agency. The Obama administration will provide US$3 billion toward the $8.7 billion project.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 309 projects with a total value of $9,233,720,297 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Wednesday.
$500,000,000 Ottawa ON Prebid
$500,000,000 Niagara Falls ON Prebid
$358,545,063 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- Concrete awards recognize Ontario’s best
- New changes will strengthen the culture
- Highway projects completed for 2013
- Lack of established areas driving up home prices
- Auto association pushes for dedicated funding
- New airport construction breaks ground
- U.S. manufacturing sector rising at a quick pace
- Oil projects help to lower deficit
- Vandals cause nearly $250,000 in water damage
- Construction cut back in latest B.C. budget update
- Alberta and Manitoba led the pack for labour productivity
- Feds infrastructure commitment re-affirmed
- Infrastructure impacted by climate change
- West End Residential rises
- Changing procurement impacts felt
- Aurora LNG files export bid
- New Brunswick premier touts pipeline jobs