LATEST NEWS Green Building
June 10, 2009
Lakehead University to open campus in Orillia, Ontario
Lakehead University, based in Thunder Bay, will break ground on its permanent location in Orillia tomorrow.
The $45-million construction project includes the first three buildings on the new campus at the western limits of the of Orillia. By next September, Lakehead Orillia will boast an 80,000-square-foot academic building, able to accommodate up to 1,200 students in addition to the original campus location in the city’s downtown core, which has a capacity of 500 students.
Orillia Dean Dr. Kim Fedderson is excited by the opportunity to provide a viable option for a greater number of central Ontario and Greater Toronto Area students to attend a highly credited university closer to home.
Current enrolment numbers show that close to 30 per cent of students who attend Lakehead University Orillia Campus come from outside Simcoe County. Numbers for the 2009/2010 school year indicate that 79 per cent of applicants are from outside the Orillia area, with 31 per cent coming from Toronto and the GTA, and 25 per cent coming from southern and south western Ontario.
With the expansion of Lakehead University in Orillia comes the opportunity to provide more degree programs in a “state-of-the-art, environmentally sustainable facility,” said Dr. Fred Gilbert, Lakehead University president.
Lakehead University has over 7,900 students and 2,250 faculty and staff.
DCN News Services
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Concrete awards recognize Ontario’s best
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 331 projects with a total value of $3,875,502,154 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$2,200,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$125,000,000 Scarborough ON Prebid
$49,900,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- Toronto firms tops for Winnipeg hut designs
- Toronto architect releases music album
- Road pricing an effective congestion fighter, say experts
- What does “Local Knowledge” really mean in Ontario AFPs?
- United States construction employers add 17,000 jobs in November but growth is uneven, finds AGC
- Toronto housing starts dip: CMHC
- Active unions needed, says Segal
- Saint John Harbour Bridge project wraps up
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex