September 1, 2004
CCA shifts its strategy for Gold Seal program
Affirmation by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) of a promotional strategy for the Gold Seal certification program is a “positive” development, says Ontario General Contractors Association president Clive Thurston.
At its summer meeting, the CCA board passed a resolution authorizing its gold seal committee to actively lobby construction purchasers who require, or intend to require, performance standards for construction management personnel to make Gold Seal the appropriate standard.
The caveat was that this be done without promoting prequalification.
The gold seal program is a national certification program for construction project managers, superintendents and estimators.
Thurston, whose association has been promoting the program at the community college level and recently launched discussions with Conestoga College in Kitchener, said the move by the CCA board is a “subtle” shift in direction.
“It’s a good shift,” said Thurston, who is Gold Sealcertified and whose association puts on seminars for its members on the program.
Dennis Ryan, the CCA’s director of industry human resources and secretary to the national gold seal committee, said the resolution enables the organization to be more than just re-active in promoting the program to federal contracting agencies.
Earlier this year, the committee sent a memo to the CCA board proposing a more aggressive marketing strategy.
This came after a federal agency introduced Gold Seal certification as the only acceptable standard for supervisory personnel employed by both the prime contractor and prime subcontractors on a project in Atlantic Canada—without the input of CCA.
“There was no discussion on how this should be implemented, or at which levels,” Ryan said.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin