September 9, 2004
Halliburton to lose Iraq contract—report
Halliburton Co.’s multibillion-dollar contract for work to support U.S. troops in Iraq will be put back up for bids, according to a published report.
The Wall Street Journal said Tuesday an internal army memo indicates the move is planned within months. The company, formerly headed by Vice-President Dick Cheney, has come under intense scrutiny amid allegations of overcharging and poor accounting.
The value of the contract, to feed and house U.S. troops in Iraq, is valued at up to $13 billion (U.S.).
The Journal quoted a Halliburton spokeswoman as saying the move was expected and that its Kellogg Brown & Root unit may bid again for parts of the work. The awarding of the no-bid contract to Halliburton has been attacked by Democrats because of Cheney’s connections to the company.
Cheney led Halliburton from 1995 to 2000.
Last month, Pentagon auditors urged the U.S. army to start withholding millions of dollars in payments to Halliburton until the company justified its bills.
Various government agencies are investigating several aspects of Halliburton’s work in Iraq, including allegations of kickbacks by Kuwaiti subcontractors and improper charges totalling hundreds of millions of dollars.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 331 projects with a total value of $3,875,502,154 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$2,200,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$125,000,000 Scarborough ON Prebid
$49,900,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- P3s can support Canadian resource development
- Parking culture shift can influence transit use and development, says expert panel
- What will it take to improve infrastructure?
- NRC unveils four new research programs
- Water-treatment plant planned for Manitoba’s CentrePort area
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- United States green construction arms race heats up
- Nova Scotia to ban importation of waste water from shale gas fracking
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin