September 17, 2004
Other Ontario projects also awarded
Work begins on Burlington Skyway Bridge
Bridges in the Ottawa area and Burlington, Ont., are being upgraded to make them safer for motorists, the province announced Tuesday.
A contract for $971,000 has been awarded to Underground Services Ltd. of Bolton, Ont., for work on the Burlington Skyway Bridge.
Construction is now under way and completion of the work is expected next spring.
The work will take place under the bridge so traffic on the QEW will not be disrupted.
The project involves repairing and replacing the older sections of structural steel on the bridge.
The government is also upgrading bridges along Highway 416 near Ottawa.
The work includes repairs to the Highway 416 underpass bridges at Dilworth Road, Regional Road 19 and North Gower 3rd Line Road.
To minimize disruption to drivers, lane and ramp closures on Highway 416 will only occur during the hours when traffic is minimal and will not take place on civic holidays or Friday afternoons before holiday weekends.
A $485,900 contract for the work was awarded to R.W. Tomlinson Ltd. of Gloucester, Ont. Construction is scheduled to begin this month, with completion expected by late fall.
Meanwhile, the province is also upgrading highways 35 and 118 and the Mountain Lake Bridge on Highway 35 in the townships of Dysart and Minden Hills in the Haliburton area.
The work includes pavement repairs on Highway 35 and Highway 118, repairs to the Mountain Lake Bridge, as well as the addition of a paved truck inspection and weighing area on Highway 35.
While the work is under way, there will be a paved detour on Highway 118 to minimize disruption to drivers.
A $7.9-million contract for the work was awarded to Cruickshank Construction Ltd. of Morrisburg, Ont. Work is scheduled to begin this month, with completion expected in September 2005.
The Ontario government is investing nearly $1 billion in highway infrastructure this year to improve safety, ease congestion and save time for drivers.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 331 projects with a total value of $3,875,502,154 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$2,200,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$125,000,000 Scarborough ON Prebid
$49,900,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- P3s can support Canadian resource development
- Parking culture shift can influence transit use and development, says expert panel
- What will it take to improve infrastructure?
- NRC unveils four new research programs
- Water-treatment plant planned for Manitoba’s CentrePort area
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- United States green construction arms race heats up
- Nova Scotia to ban importation of waste water from shale gas fracking
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin