September 17, 2004
Other Ontario projects also awarded
Work begins on Burlington Skyway Bridge
Bridges in the Ottawa area and Burlington, Ont., are being upgraded to make them safer for motorists, the province announced Tuesday.
A contract for $971,000 has been awarded to Underground Services Ltd. of Bolton, Ont., for work on the Burlington Skyway Bridge.
Construction is now under way and completion of the work is expected next spring.
The work will take place under the bridge so traffic on the QEW will not be disrupted.
The project involves repairing and replacing the older sections of structural steel on the bridge.
The government is also upgrading bridges along Highway 416 near Ottawa.
The work includes repairs to the Highway 416 underpass bridges at Dilworth Road, Regional Road 19 and North Gower 3rd Line Road.
To minimize disruption to drivers, lane and ramp closures on Highway 416 will only occur during the hours when traffic is minimal and will not take place on civic holidays or Friday afternoons before holiday weekends.
A $485,900 contract for the work was awarded to R.W. Tomlinson Ltd. of Gloucester, Ont. Construction is scheduled to begin this month, with completion expected by late fall.
Meanwhile, the province is also upgrading highways 35 and 118 and the Mountain Lake Bridge on Highway 35 in the townships of Dysart and Minden Hills in the Haliburton area.
The work includes pavement repairs on Highway 35 and Highway 118, repairs to the Mountain Lake Bridge, as well as the addition of a paved truck inspection and weighing area on Highway 35.
While the work is under way, there will be a paved detour on Highway 118 to minimize disruption to drivers.
A $7.9-million contract for the work was awarded to Cruickshank Construction Ltd. of Morrisburg, Ont. Work is scheduled to begin this month, with completion expected in September 2005.
The Ontario government is investing nearly $1 billion in highway infrastructure this year to improve safety, ease congestion and save time for drivers.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 527 projects with a total value of $1,552,331,732 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$120,000,000 Oakville ON Tenders
$48,225,000 Etobicoke ON Prebid
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
- CCA96th: Unlocking Canada's Potential
- VIDEO: LiUNA Local 183 Training Centre introduces new programs
- Wins delivered on infrastructure front: Rizzardo
- Behind the Velodrome’s Veil
- Ontario’s prompt payment bill needs work but supported
- Southwest L-evation
- Post-bid clarifications make feds liable for bid repair
- Panama Construction Fact for Today
- Ritchie Bros. hold first Canadian auction of 2014
- Skilled labour needs changing in Saskatchewan
- Quebec’s construction momentum ebbs after 15 years of expansion
- VIDEO: Canadian Construction Association conference Panama preview
- Concerns raised about P3 approach for Saskatchewan schools
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of March 10th, 2014
- Wood Design Awards
- Lone bidder prepares P3 proposal for Alberta schools
- Outgoing chair reflects on time at the helm of the CCA
- School board asks for traditional procurement
- Site Services in Vancouver
- Looking to improve contract awards
- Environmental verdict riles Taseko
- Prentice to mediate First Nations agreements
- CAWIC funded to create action plan to attract women
- More video surveillance used on construction sites
- Modular workforce housing meets Alberta Building Code standard
- Manitoba outlines infrastructure plan
- BC Hydro posts RFQ for Site C project