September 25, 2007
Federal government ponders $20 million for Regina trade centre
The federal government is looking at funding up to $20 million for the construction of a new multi-purpose facility at IPSCO Place under Building Canada infrastructure plan.
The proposed construction of a new multiplex is part of a larger revitalization for the entire complex and will help attract large events to Regina. The larger revitalization includes the building of a 400,000 square foot complex which includes exhibition hall and event facilities, the upgrade of the Brandt Centre, and the demolition of 19 older buildings.
“Our event site has a significant role in attracting and hosting world-class agri-business, sporting, entertainment and cultural events and has a major economic impact on the community,” said Mark Allan, President and CEO of IPSCO Place.
“This project will allow us the opportunity to move forward with our master plans for revitalizing and redeveloping IPSCO Place and will also ensure that we can continue to be competitive nationally and internationally.
“We’re looking forward to continued partnerships with all three levels of government to see the multi-phase, multi-year project completed.”
“We are very pleased with the Government of Canada’s decision to make this major revitalization project a priority,” said Mayor Pat Fiacco. “This project will help ensure the long-term sustainability of IPSCO Place.”
Financial support for the project is conditional on the successful negotiation with the Province of Saskatchewan of a framework agreement under Building Canada.
It is also conditional on a federal due diligence review of the project, the successful completion of an environmental assessment and the successful signing of a contribution agreement.
DCN News Services
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin