September 11, 2007
Industry groups will develop pre-standard for Load and Resistance Factor Design
The American Society of Civil Engineers and the American Composites Manufacturers Association have signed a three-year agreement to develop a pre-standard for Load and Resistance Factor Design (LRFD) for Pultruded Fiber Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composite Structures.
The LRFD standard is an important design tool that will help structural engineers and architects use FRP composites in the design of building and transportation structures, bringing the benefits of composites, such as its strength-to-weight ratio, resistance to corrosion, low maintenance and long life cycle, to the forefront of the nation’s infrastructure.
“The LRFD standard will give composites credibility and presence, ultimately increasing market acceptance,” said John Tickle, ACMA President. “We are thrilled to be partnering with such a highly reputable group as the ASCE. Together we have much to be proud of, as this standard will pave the way to a very bright future.”
“ASCE has a longstanding and proven history in producing professional standards such as this; standards that advance the practice of civil engineering and allow us to better serve the public’s needs,” said Bill Marcuson of ASCE.
The preparation of a consensus pre-standard is a major undertaking that requires the expert knowledge and participation of respected members of the professional community. ASCE, with ACMA’s approval, has selected Dr. Mehdi Zarghamee of Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc. to serve as the coordinator for the project.
As the project coordinator, Dr. Zarghamee will provide leadership to ensure proper coordination and information sharing between the project team members. He will also coordinate the technical progress and authoring of the standard among the project team members according to the scope of work and schedule.
At the project’s completion, the pre-standard will be promulgated through the official ASCE Codes and Standards process. The expected release date of the pre-standard is September 2010.
DCN News Services
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 381 projects with a total value of $3,359,995,864 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Monday.
$60,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$40,000,000 Ottawa ON Negotiated
$35,000,000 Ottawa ON Prebid
- $700 million raised for GTA cricket stadium
- Hamilton’s Gore Park makeover underway
- Chazy Glass Work
- What is key in contractor and supplier relations?
- New Brunswick to invest in Loyalist House
- Greco Aluminum Railings secures railing system work in New Jersey
- Nova Scotia issues tender to replace earthen dyke
- Bouygues Energies & Services acquires Plan Group
- Journal of Commerce to launch new website
- Journal of Commerce Preview for the week of 21st, 2014
- Apprentices square off at B.C. boilermaker competition
- Report urges WorkSafeBC to overhaul the way it investigates
- Vancouver Island landmark undergoing major renovations
- Creation of a free trade zone within Canada being explored
- RFP process brings heavy demands
- False Creek's New Beginning
- European apprenticeships examined
- Kenney sees harmonized training progress
- Nunavut deep sea port seen as important to Arctic