September 11, 2007
Provincial report recommends immediate replacement of two Quebec bridges
Two Quebec bridges need to be completely rebuilt immediately and eight others require major repair work right away, according to a provincial safety inspection report.
The revelations come following further inspection of 20 structures in questionable state of repair. The follow-up detailed inspections were ordered after an initial 135 Quebec bridges and overpasses where looked at.
Quebec’s transport department has already limited heavy trucks from crossing the 135 bridges and overpasses around the province until it can ensure the structures are safe.
The decision to inspect the infrastructure came as a public inquiry concluded into an overpass collapse north of Montreal last fall that killed five people.
The bridges and viaducts that are closed to heavy trucks all share certain structural similarities with the overpass that collapsed.
DCN Staff/News Services
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- OCOT consultation comes to a halt over possible bias
- P3s put a jolt in electricity infrastructure
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Mandatory safety training kicks in next year
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 321 projects with a total value of $20,605,386,875 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Friday.
$500,000,000 Province of Ontario ON Prebid
$139,300,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$67,650,000 Toronto ON Prebid
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin