February 20, 2006
IPSCO invests $45M in steel process
IPSCO Inc. will make two new capital investments to improve both its steel and pipe making capabilities.
As part of its planned capital expenditures for 2006, the company has approved the expenditure of $17.7 million for the installation of a vacuum degasser at its Montpelier, Iowa Steelworks to provide a more sophisticated and extensive range of steel products.
The vacuum degasser is a metallurgical refining process, which allows production of ultra-low hydrogen steel with superior cleanliness. When installed, the vacuum degasser will help meet growing demand for construction applications such as heavy equipment and bridge manufacturing and for higher strength, large diameter line pipe steels.
In a second planned investment for 2006, the company has also approved an expenditure of $27.5 million on a coil preparation facility and other related enhancements to its large diameter spiral pipe mill operations located in Regina, Saskatchewan. The new prepping area and equipment modifications will improve yield and productivity, as well as increase capacity in excess of 25 per cent from these mills. Upon completion of the project, IPSCO’s annual large diameter capacity may exceed 375,000 tons.
Both the vacuum degasser and coil preparation facility are expected to be operating by third quarter 2007.
DCN News Services
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 333 projects with a total value of $13,209,890,621 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Thursday.
$150,000,000 Toronto ON Negotiated
$35,000,000 Chatham ON Negotiated
$26,000,000 Sudbury ON Tenders
- NTCCC takes to Parliament Hill tomorrow
- Emerald Park Progress
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Is there energy gold to be mined in sewage processing?
- Ottawa LRT tunnel boring machines named
- Better transportation key to quality of life, states CivicAction
- Three World Cup stadiums behind schedule
- Ontario introduces legislation to help protect vulnerable workers
- Istanbul’s Grand Bazaar inspires design of new strip mall currently being built in Las Vegas
- VIDEO: Journal of Commerce Update for the week of December 9th, 2013
- Building the One
- New design-build contracts released
- Sales tax transition has been a mixed bag for industry
- Taseko files for judicial review of gold mine assessment
- Contract uncertainty and price escalation
- Edmonton college expansion moves ahead
- Council of Construction Associations names Dave Baspaly as new president
- $100 million added to Calgary's capital budget
- Massive investment will complete Kitimat smelter project
- Manitoba invests $45 million
- Corruption charge in probe of SNC-Lavalin