LATEST NEWS Roadbuilding
February 13, 2006
Private park shoulders condo
The team responsible for the design of a privately funded park in downtown Toronto hopes to finalize conceptual plans by June.
Vancouver landscape architect Greg Smallenberg, who is collaborating on the project with author and artist Douglas Coupland, said the design process has just begun.
“This month, we are planning a number of workshops that should yield some ideas.”
The duo were awarded the commission to design the eight-acre park by Concord Adex Developments Corp.
The park will be the focal point of the western portion of Concord CityPlace, located west of Spadina Avenue and south of Front Street.
Upon completion in 2008, the park will be gifted to the city of Toronto.
Smallenberg, a partner in the firm of Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg, said there is a “real and unusual opportunity” to create a beautifully sculpted park space as a result of the amount of available on-site fill.
“We are interested in creating a relevant, exciting and usable urban park that sets in motion a new way of thinking about landscape and its relationship with a city,” said Smallenberg whose firm has worked in conjunction with artists in the past.
Construction is expected to get under way in mid 2007.
When completed, Concord CityPlace will be comprised of a 44-acre neighbourhood which will contain 20 highrise towers, half a dozen lowrise structures and 100 townhouses.
Development on the eastern side of Spadina is virtually completed. Building now is under way on the west side.
|MOST POPULAR STORIES|
- Construction begins on 1.5-kilometre western portion of Mississauga transitway
- RCMP make another arrest in connection with its SNC-Lavalin probe
- “Super beam” installed in Montreal Champlain Bridge repair
- Tunnelling of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension completed
- Concrete awards recognize Ontario’s best
- 20 Most Popular Stories
|TODAY’S TOP CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS|
These projects have been selected from 299 projects with a total value of $6,054,395,373 that Reed Construction Data Building Reports reported on Tuesday.
$200,000,000 Halton Reg ON Prebid
$191,000,000 Toronto ON Prebid
$144,000,000 Etobicoke ON Prebid
- VIDEO: Construct Canada 2013 CEO Power Breakfast
- Toronto firms tops for Winnipeg hut designs
- Toronto architect releases music album
- Road pricing an effective congestion fighter, say experts
- What does “Local Knowledge” really mean in Ontario AFPs?
- United States construction employers add 17,000 jobs in November but growth is uneven, finds AGC
- Toronto housing starts dip: CMHC
- Active unions needed, says Segal
- Saint John Harbour Bridge project wraps up
- New Westminster Development
- Natural gas generating facilities planned
- Refinery costs jump by $2.8 billion
- Employers must be aware of liability at holiday office parties
- New charges needed for infrastructure
- Skills Training at BCIT
- Auditor generals weigh in on value of P3s
- Low lead requirements kicking in next year
- Mental heath and workplace psychology must be addressed
- Edmonton International Airport mall takes shape
- University of Winnipeg building an apartment complex